Friday, January 19, 2018

The Arizona No One Knows

By Brenda Whiteside
“The book’s strength is in its characters and descriptions… The setting was a character in itself. I loved the town! The author really made it come to life, not stinting on details (but not boring the reader either)… the writing kept me turning pages and I never once thought about setting it down.” Review for The Art of Love and Murder ~ Long and Short Reviews

Developing a setting for my novels is second only to creating characters. For my Love and
Murder Series, I chose the northern plains of Arizona and the high country. Like authors often do, I chose an area with which I am familiar.

I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, but had no great love for the area; dry flat ground and cactus is how I still think of it. I dreamed of snowy
winters, autumn leaves, and fields of flowers. My family rarely traveled. Visiting relatives in California or friends in New Mexico is all I remember from childhood. But a few trips with my family to the north gave me a taste of pine covered mountains and an occasional body of water.

Most people think of Arizona the way I used to...and I lived there. But the dry, featureless environment with a cactus here was my opinion, too.

It wasn’t until I’d lived in several other states and countries that I discovered the part of Arizona I now call home. I love the rugged mountains, evergreens far north, and the yellow prairies of central Arizona. Snow comes to this area and so do autumn leaves.

With the San Francisco Peaks of Flagstaff and the golden prairie of Chino Valley, I found a home for my Love and Murder Series. And until
you’ve experienced an Arizona sunset, you just haven’t seen one!

Have you ever left a place only to go back and find you love it there after all?
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment